I went to play my monthly volunteer night for Musicians On Call tonight. I think it is a wonderful organization. I am always amazed at what a huge difference a little bit of music can make in someone's day. It just takes them some place else for a couple of minutes and they are always so thankful. Some like to chat a little bit too. Usually, at least one person per night advises me to try for American Idol...
Each evening has a different vibe in the hospitals as well. I played in the oncology department and tonight was the most emotional that I have ever experienced. I always worry very much about trying to be as uplifting as possible but it seemed that tonight everyone was pretty mellow... A few people that I played for started crying and I was mortified. The guide that was with me tonight (there is always a volunteer guide to lead you from room to room and introduce the program) was a cancer survivor and a former patient of that hospital. She told me that sometimes it was good for people to cry and let their emotions out in these terrible times and that music was a good trigger. I hope she is right.
mardi 23 février 2010
Inscription à :
Publier les commentaires (Atom)
.jpg)
Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire